Shooting and standoff on 32nd AVE NE

One man was shot in the leg, resulting in a standoff on 32nd Avenue Northeast near Northeast 145th Street. The shooting comes just days after another young man was found dead from a gunshot wound in a nearby parking lot.

About 11:20, a group of people that may be involved came out of the building with their hands up. Seattle Police said they may have been involved in an earlier dispute with the victim. Police said a total of 5 people were detained.

As SWAT officers moved in, police closed Lake City Way/Bothell Way NE and NE 145th Street.

The first medics were dispatched to the scene at 10:07am and the victim was transported in a medic unit.

From Seattle Police:

Police arrived in the 14300 block of 32nd Avenue NE around 10:15 AM after receiving reports one man had been shot. Officers found the man, who had sustained a gunshot wound to the leg. Medics transported the man to Harborview Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

At the scene, officers learned a group of men and women had been in a dispute at a nearby apartment building just before the shooting. When the group emerged from the building, at least one man involved in the dispute opened fire, striking the victim.

Police are now searching for four men and a woman, who may have fled back into the building following the shooting.

SPD negotiators, SWAT, Washington State Patrol, Shoreline Police and Seattle patrol officers are all on scene working get the group to surrender to officers..

Some at the scene expressed concern about a rise of violence in the neighborhood with the death earlier in the week near Friday’s shooting scene. Some said they regularly hear gunfire in the neighborhood. Seattle Police spokesman Patrick Michaud said that if people feel unsafe they should call 911 to give police data to track crime trends in a neighborhood.

Police moved people back from the scene and said the area was not safe after Friday’s shooting. SWAT officers and an armored vehicle were used to clear people from an apartment building near the scene of the shooting. But it was unknown at the time if the suspect was still in the building.

Police said to avoid the area until they gave an all clear.